South Carolina Legal History Collection
The South Carolina Legal History Collection encompasses both primary and secondary published sources dealing with the legal, constitutional, and political development of the state. In addition, it contains portraits, papers, and memorabilia. Materials are available upon request whenever Law Library staff are on duty. Circulation of material from the collection is restricted.
The Digital Portrait Collection at the University of South Carolina School of Law
The Digital Portrait Collection of the Law Library contains images of portraits owned by the School of Law. The subjects are lawyers, jurists, political figures, legal thinkers, and scholars prominent in South Carolina legal history from the beginnings of the Carolina colony in the 1660s to the present.
Gavel Raps was a newsletter published by the University of South Carolina Student Bar Association from 1969 through 1988. It covered a myriad of topics, including SBA meetings, fraternities, social events, “law wives”, and the planning, groundbreaking and building of the current law school. This was a particularly interesting time period for the law school as it began to see an increase in female and minority students. The hardcopies are contained in three bound volumes that are housed in the Law Library at the University of South Carolina School of Law. This digital collection was created by the University of South Carolina School of Library & Information Science Digital Libraries class and the Law Library, Spring 2015.
The Hon. J. Robert Martin Papers
Judge Robert Martin was a Federal District Court judge in South Carolina, who presided over the 1947 trial of those charged with the lynching of Willie Earle. The collection consists chiefly of correspondence (letters, postcards, and telegrams) and newspaper clippings regarding the trial, specifically the proceedings, verdict, and Martin’s role as presiding judge.
A Nineteenth Century Law Library: The Colcock-Hutson Collection
The Colcock-Hutson Collection consists of 419 books that had been part of the library accumulated by five generations of Colcocks and Hutsons, lawyers who lived in Beaufort, Jasper, and Hampton Counties from 1744 to 1939. This historical collection was donated to the library by Charles Cook in 2007. It is a snapshot of past legal practice and it gives current lawyers and law students an insight into the working law libraries of the past.
South Carolina Records & Briefs Collection — pre 2014
Finding aid for the print collection of briefs and records from published South Carolina Supreme Court and Court of Appeals cases.
Finding aid for the print collection of briefs and records from published and unpublished South Carolina cases before 1918. Please see the Reference staff for assistance with this collection.
Memory Hold the Door
In 1958, to honor exemplary lawyers, the South Carolina Bar Association and the Law School Faculty established Memory Hold The Door. The University of South Carolina provided a memorial book of finest quality and its handsome glass-topped mahogany repository. Each year a new class of attorneys is inducted.
Almost all items owned by the library published before 1912 are housed in off-site storage. The titles are listed in the catalog. Please see Law Library staff for access to these materials.