Memory Hold The Door
James B. Moore, Sr. (1918–2005)
James B. Moore graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1942. He served as captain in the U.S. Army and began his law career in 1946 in the law office of Smith and Moore in Georgetown. He served as managing partner until the firm’s merger with McNair and Sanford, PA, in 1987, when he became Of Counsel to the firm. He was appointed to the State Ports Authority in 1961 by then — Governor Fritz Hollings and served for 35 years, making him the longest-serving Board member. He served as chairman from 1965 to 1968 and later as treasurer and vice chair. In March 2001, a terminal at the Port of Georgetown was named in his honor.
Moore served in the S.C. House of Representatives from 1948 to 1954. In 1984, he received the Order of the Palmetto, South Carolina’s highest honor. Moore also served as director and general counsel for Andrews Bank & Trust and First Federal of Georgetown, founder and director of The Litchfield Company, director of Georgetown Steel Corporation, founder and director of The Litchfield Golf Company, and president of the Georgetown County Bar Association (1974–75).
Moore is survived by his wife, Mary Lee P. Moore; son, James B. Moore, Jr.; and daughters, Harriett Moore Miller and Porter Moore Tuttle.